I have not written for a while, because I have done no knitting to write about. I continue knitting blanket #139 with pleasure.
I took a long time fastening the ends on blanket #138, but now it is done, and now I can turn to the basket again. It was funny how reluctant I was to pick it up while I was still working on #138, and as soon as it was done I had no problem at all in continuing with the basket.
I knew there was only a few more rows to do. I put half the stitches on another circular needle to check the shape. It resembles a big floppy mess. I started having doubts about the sides standing up, and I was right, of course they don't. The question is if felting will improve it. I will have to wait and see. I checked the Mason-Dixon knitting book again, and there it says that their first attempts ended up as floppy baskets too. The basket bit I have no problems with, the floppyness I do. I should have read the book more carefully before I started. They solved the problem by using the yarn doubled. Too thick I thought, and not enough yarn for the size I wanted. The size is another matter. Now it is much bigger than I thought. As I have got this far, I will continue and then I will felt and see how it ends up. Perhaps useless.