Sunday 22 March 2015

The next blanket

 
The next blanket, #167, was due to be dark green, partly because I seem to alternate between red and green, and green was next in turn, and partly because I want to use up the bright green yarns that I have got.










The green black marled Patricia Roberts Shetland irks me, because it is so noticeable and there is so little you can do with it.  And even now, using it every fifth row, I still won't finish it.  It is a nice yarn with the attractive rough Shetland quality that get softer with washing.







The other bright green, or dark teal more accurately, I will finish this time because there is only one ball left.  It is a Sirdar DK crepe wool that I found as a bag of 25 one ounce balls.  I like knitting with crepe - you don't really find it now - but again it is the colour that is so difficult, and it will be nice to see the end of it.  (After nearly eight years.)

I unravelled this shawl.  I bought it, inadvisably, because I convinced myself it was high quality yarn - alpaca or silk blend - and that I could use it for dolls' clothes.  But the colour runs are too long for small items; it would just look ridiculous.  And washing didn't remove the kinks so I wonder if it is an acrylic blend instead.  It serves me right, and I like including it here.  The red portions don't bother me at all.





The next in line was this cotton cardigan in a lace stitch, in a nice lavender colour.  It is so nicely knitted and faultlessly seamed together.  The fronts have been sewn together in a matching sewing thread - perhaps it was too small.  I bought it to wear, and I wore it several summers.  Fashions have moved on, and it is not comfortable anymore, so here it is.  The yarn is mercerized, and now that it has been unravelled it looks very much like Rowan Cotton Glace.  I have not tried to research if it is a Rowan pattern.











No comments:

Post a Comment